Stupid, Idiotic Things from Work

So, here’s the thing. Every day is another day that something happens at my job that is ridiculous and can’t happen in the private sector, at least it seems so stupid that it must be only an Army thing. The past couple of days, however, have been something that I have not experienced in my four years of working for the Army Reserve. A few instances stand out, so I will start with the one that happened first and how everything else has just spiraled out of control since then.

1) I am sick of the assumption by the powers that be that we will stay in our jobs no matter what. Everyone seems to think that we are going to be around for ever, hence them not caring much when awards get returned due to “administrative errors” and not resubmitting them. Or telling us that we can’t deploy because we are too valuable but not fighting to keep us around with said bonuses and other awards. I have informed those above me that I would like to deploy; I have an opportunity with a sister unit and it would really be beneficial for me, both financially and for my military career. The response I get is “You can’t deploy with a unit that you don’t work for without a waiver.” I understand that; just fill out the damn waiver and let somebody more important than you make that decision. I have already decided that if I am not allowed to deploy, I am quitting my job to do so. They can’t say anything then. Either way, they are losing me for a year or more, but at least if they let me go on my terms, I may come back afterward. That doesn’t look so likely in either case now. I may just move back to Utah as planned and really leave them in a lurch.

2) Integrity. It is one of the Army values that is instilled from day one of Basic Training. But when you are called out for doing something you are not supposed to do, you don’t lie and say you are not doing it. Admit your “mistake,” take the punishment and move on. One of our full-timers has apparently been moonlighting as a mechanic for the local transit authority, outside of duty hours, but it has been affecting his performance at work. I know this because his other supervisor called me to confirm some stuff…not really my place, so I passed it on to his unit. When his unit tries to take care of it, he denies that he is working this second job. Whatever, loser. I hope that they have no qualms about separating you and your deadbeat wife from the program.

3) Power-hungry c**** (for lack of a better word): Just because you finally get paid what you think you are worth doesn’t suddenly make you the person in charge. It doesn’t really work that way, sweetheart, but thanks for playing. Apparently when you attend conferences and other training, you don’t pay attention. I make more than you, but I never claim to be your boss, but maybe I should. Or do you think you make more than me too? I don’t think so. I don’t care that you went to Baylor or that you studied abroad in Europe, or that you may have worked for USARSO. Just shut up and work your 40 hours a week, and actually work them, not just some bullshit numbers on a fraudulent time card. If you want to be an officer, get your fat ass off the couch and lose some weight so you can stop wearing that girdle everywhere. Maybe pass a PT test too and get DMOSQ. I know I want to be an officer too and that I am not ready to do it, but I don’t walk around saying that people are going to be sorry when I am because then I’ll really be in charge. I cry bullshit yet again.

Grr…I hate my job! Most (90%) of the people that I work with and interact on a daily basis are fine and I don’t mind them. It’s the other 10% or so that really irritate the shit out of me. I want them to go away. One has left; only four more or so to go.

One thought on “Stupid, Idiotic Things from Work

  1. I couldn’t have picked a better day to read this post. I’m SO right there with ya. It’s that 10% that is enough to make a person go mad. Why can’t they just go away and leave the rest of us be?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s